I hope you are all enjoying your weekend. This weekend marks the end of 3 beautiful weeks of rest and relaxation of Christmas break. Monday I go back to school and back to reality. Not particularly looking forward to losing all my free time, but I have to admit that I miss those little kiddos (well, most of them…).
One of the projects I worked on during my break was taking down all the Christmas decorations. Once everything was packed away my house felt so empty and simple and I began working on my non-Christmas window sill vignettes. They usually stay the same, but I wanted to switch things up a bit.
For our wedding we received two glass hurricanes and they usually house a Plain Jane candle like this:
But as I tried to change up my décor I decided I wanted to do something different with them. I tried filling them with beads, floral garland, greenery, etc. but I didn’t like any of it. I like the glow of candles and so my thoughts turned from the inside of the hurricane to the outside.
And thus the vellum hurricane cover was born:
I like how the hurricane almost looks like a little lamp now. It looks great on my new table.
To make these SUPER easy covers here’s what you’ll need:
- 1-2 sheets of vellum paper
- Double sided tape or adhesive dots
- Computer image of your choice (I used a chevron pattern)
I know that chevron was ALL the rage last year, but I’ve never been one to be super trendy. I still love the pattern and thought it would look pretty either illuminated or not.
Here’s the how to:
First, choose the pattern you want. You could even pick an image. I like the idea of a bird or flower, but again, I stuck with chevron.
I pulled this image up on Microsoft Word and set the margins to wide. Then, I loaded my printer with a piece of vellum paper.
Vellum paper is translucent and can be bought at any craft store (Michaels, JoAnn’s, etc.)
Then, I printed the image.
Now you might be thinking, hey the original image is blue/grey and white, and the printed image looks light pink. Well, that’s because my printer was almost out of toner. I didn’t realize it until I had already printed. However, I ended up liking the subtle look of the pink even better so it all worked out!
Here’s what it looked like when printed. This sheet was 8 in x 12 in.
Next, I used roll-on adhesive dots on the short edges of the vellum.
Wow, I gotta get those nails done!
Wrap it around the hurricane and VOILA!
In about 5 minutes you can change the look of a hurricane and an entire vignette!
Here it is during the day…
…and at night.
I’m linking up to these fabulous parties:
Mondays: Between Naps on the Porch, Keeping It Simple, Homemaker On A Dime, The Tattered Tag, The DIY Showoff, Home Savvy, Be Colorful, The DIY Home Sweet Home, Mad In Crafts, The Girl Creative, Polly Want A Crafter, Sumos Sweet Stuff, Making The World Cuter, Skip To my Lou, Debbiedoos, Get Outta My Head Please
Tuesdays: Coastal Charm, Cherished Bliss, Confessions, My Uncommon Slice Of Suburbia, Tip Junkie, Topsy Turvy, Sassy Sites!, A Bowl Full Of Lemons, Sugar Bee Crafts, Not Just A Housewife, Homework, Today's Creative Blog
Wednesdays: Blue Cricket Design, Sew Much Ado, Eisy Morgan, My Girlish Whims, Savvy Southern Style, Someday Crafts, Handy Man Crafty Woman, The Thrifty Home, Lil Luna, Organize and Decorate Everything, Southern Lovely, Primp Your Stuff
Fridays: Remodelaholic, Serenity Now, delicateCONSTRUCTION, Chic On A Shoestring, 504 Main, Miss Mustard Seed, Happy Hour Projects, French Country Cottage, The Shabby Nest, Fun To Craft, Fingerprints on the Fridge, Freckled Laundry, Common Ground